Monday, May 9, 2011

Baby time!




Well we are adding a two foot addition to our house this year. Somewhere between the end of October and the beginning of November!


I am so excited for Carter to have a sibling! I would've given him one sooner had my nerves of birthing not consumed my life. He is going to be the best big brother ever!




I have also decided I would like to attempt a vbac. I feel like "why not give it a shot?" It's something I desire so much and I think if I just went on to have a c-section and then later had to continue in that path, I would've regretted not trying to attempt it once at least.
It's like this mind war going on in my head because I have to just be totally cool with whatever the outcome is. And that it just goes ways we sometimes we have no control over. So if it doesn't work out I can't be upset about it - But at least I know ahead of time that it's a 50/50 possibility of happening again. The first birth was more of absolute absolute shock which threw me over emotionally.


All in all, none of this is solid. All I can do is pray that we and I make the best decision for our family, for our babies safety and mine as well. (And we'll be praying every moment up until the baby is born however it's born) I think I will be deciding up to the due date if I really am going to attempt a v-bac, so we'll just see how this goes.
For now I am totally thrilled, (and scared/terrified) and happy and grateful all at the same time.

I'm also excited to find out what we're having. Either way I'm totally thrilled. If it's a boy I will be ecstatic that carter will have a buddy! I have seriously been wanting this child to have another kid around to play with! and if it's a girl I'll be ecstatic too because girls are just so cute and fun to dress up ;)





Also I think what really got me to think about seriously doing it was watching this segment on Studio 5 and seeing that I'm not some "crazy lady" wanting to do this:
And part of the article that was with it is below the video-




Ashley Kewish reports on new guidelines set by the American College of Gynecology and Obstetrics that will give more mothers-to-be a chance to have vaginal births after cesareans, or VBACSs.

The number of c-section deliveries in Utah has increased more than 40 percent in the last 10 years, but now that number is starting to go down throughout the state. Ashley Kewish sat down with OBGYN, Margit Lister and learned about the major "push" for surgery-free deliveries.

Ruth Jones has a baby on the way, and this time around she's hoping the delivery will go a bit different than it did with her first child. "I expected to have a vaginal birth, but didn't get that chance", Ruth says.

Ruth's son, Luke entered the world via c-section in 2007. "I think the first two days are the worst", Ruth adds, "because you're not only dealing with trying to take care of a baby, but you're also dealing with that scar."

Ruth is not alone. Her c-section came at the peak of a booming trend, when cesarean deliveries accounted for nearly a quarter of all births in Utah.

"So everybody thought once a c-section always a c-section kind of mentality and we started moving away from operative deliveries where we would help a woman once she was complete", explains Dr. Margit Lister of Wasatch OBGYN.

That mentality makes c-sections the most common surgery in the state. A costly statistic.

Dr. Lister adds, "The overall cost to the public is higher. Women that have a c-section are in the hospital for four days, where women have a vaginal birth are out of the hospital within 48 hours."

But now, things are changing.

"So the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology said all should be offered a vaginal birth after cesarean", Dr. Lister explains, "and all women who have had two cesareans should be offered a trial of labor. It's something Ruth is anxious to try.

"I'm excited and nervous at the same time because I don't know what to expect", Ruth says

So …what can an expectant mother expect when trying for a VBAC?

"We let them try to labor on their own", Dr. Lister explains. "We try not to induce them. We wait until the cervix is very favorable. Her success rate is pretty good, just like your success rate with your first pregnancy."

So as Ruth's March 3rd due date nears, she looks forward to the chance of having the delivery she's always wanted.

2 comments:

  1. As someone who has had 3 c sections and didn't even attempt a VBAC, I would tell you to at least try it. I was to scared to with Kynley and didn't really understand that after 2 c sections that is your only option. I really wanted a VBAC with Olivia, but couldn't. I probably wouldn't have been successful in my VBAC attempts with Kynley since there was WAY to much water and she turned sideways, but if I could go back and do it again I would have at least tried. Then I would have known that it just isn't possible for me or if it was just the first baby that it didn't work out for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because of the experience I had with Matt, I was so terrified of trying a vbac with Aaron - and honestly this c-section went so much better than the last (mainly because it was scheduled and not an emergency one). But my OBGYN said that I probably would have had the baby the next day. He said I was contracting pretty good. If I ever have a third baby, I think I might try the vbac. Just because the recovery is so much faster!

    Congratulations on the baby! :)

    ReplyDelete